Windows Update – Errors 80070057, 800736B3, 8024400E

Windows Update – Errors 80070057, 800736B3, 8024400E

/ /
in Blog

We started the new patching Microsoft has put forward (cumulative updates) and one of our Citrix vDisks had an issue with it. Windows Update would say that there were no updates available:


But we very obviously have updates to deploy to it.

When I checked the ‘WindowsUpdate.log’ I saw the following:

0x80070057 = E_INVALIDARG

The ‘CBS’ (Component Based Servicing) is reporting an Invalid Argument.  Microsoft keeps a more verbose log of the component based servicing here: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS

This log reported the following:

An error appeared to occur at this point (there were a few):

Failed to get component version: 6.1.7601.22653
Failed to enumerate store versions on component: x86_microsoft-windows-c..ityclient.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.22843_da-dk_c1126f6226996014
Failed to enumerate related component versions on component: x86_microsoft-windows-c..ityclient.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.22843_da-dk_c1126f6226996014


The standard MS method of troubleshooting Windows Update is to run the ‘CheckSUR’ utility.  This was the result of running that tool:


No errors detected.  Awesome.  So I have a problem but this tool reports everything is peachy.

So when I looked at Windows Update I saw numerous ‘failed’ updates.


I took one that was failed and downloaded it (KB3177467) and attempted to manually install it.

This time I got a different error:


Looking at the CBS.LOG showed me the following:

Ok, so now we can see the error but it still doesn’t give us much information.  If I run ProcMon I can find *when* the error occurs somewhat easily because Windows Error Reporting kicks in as soon as the error occurs:


My apologies for such an ugly screenshot.  The ‘Dark Blue’ highlight is when Windows Error Reporting kicked in.  So the error must have occurred immediately preceding it.  The only line that had a ‘NAME NOT FOUND’ without being a subkey search is the line that ends in v!6.1.7601.18766.  If I browse to that location in the registry, here’s what I find:



So we are definitely missing that key.  I have a bit of an advantage with the patches here as I have a duplicate of this server in another vDisk that was made around a year ago.  Both are supposed to be at the same patch level, but it allows me to look through it’s COMPONENTS registry hive and see if it has that key…

And I see a vastly different set of keys:


So I import that key and try running the update again…



Manually, it successfully updated.  So now I tried running Windows Update again:


Code 8024400E.  Which means…  I just need to rerun ‘Try again’ about 6 times.  Once I do:


Ok, we have updates.  As a test I’m going to do just one:





So I’ll try the rest:






It appears we can install patches again.  I’m concerned the COMPONENTS hives were so different but without a solid understanding of how that hive comes to be (I wish you could rebuild it) I think I may be stuck with assuming that a failed update or maybe a corrupt registry key is at fault for that missing key breaking updates.  I guess we’ll see what happens next month to see if we can patch Windows :/


  1. Rui Paz 2019-06-03 2:33 am


    Nice guide thanks but after the ProcMon you didn’t say the registry branch that you have to check/change!

    The Procmon image is small its not possible to read the text to ID the key.

  2. Mark 2019-11-06 3:17 am

    Very nice blog!

    This helped me solving my Windows Update Problems i have been struggling with for days now.
    In my case, just creating the missing Key (empty) solved the issue.

    Thank you!


Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.